March 31, 2013

Popovers and Tea

My grandmother, Onnie, is one of my favorite people to have ever graced this earth.  She was a difficult, strong-willed, opinionated woman, and I loved all of those things about her.  Up until her very last days she made her own decisions and stuck to them.

Growing up neither of my grandmothers fit the cookie-cutter, kids' book picture of a grandmother.  Both of mine were strong, passionate women, with their own loves and interests to guide them.  To my recollection neither of them have ever baked me cookies.  When I was little I thought it was so strange that all of the media representations of grandmothers are sweet, rotund, delicate women with quiet voices and gentle attitudes.  Mine were nothing of the sort.  They were happy to tell you off if you were wrong and were never particularly adept in a kitchen.

It took me years to realize how truly fortunate I am to have these women in my life growing up.  I learned that women need to do what's best for them and their family.  I learned to keep that good man if you find him, but don't be afraid to get rid of those that don't treat you the way you deserve.  I learned that women are strong, confident, and opinionated.  And in this world that is no small thing.

They also introduced me to many of the passions that drive this blog: knitting, crocheting, sewing, and a totally healthy obsession with my dog.

As I said earlier, my grandmothers rarely cooked.  But each have a few specialties, and this is one of Onnie's.  For me, they're one of those comfort foods that takes me right back to my grandmother's dining room.  It always makes me smile to remember the way she would tease my brother by knocking on the underside of the table and saying that the geese had come for him.

  They might be a New England thing; they seem pretty British.  Where ever they came from they are most definitely amazing.  Popovers are this buttery, delicious, light, eggy roll made in a muffin tin.  They take a little bit of time, but the recipe is pretty simple, and they only have four ingredients.  Give them a try.

The delicious final product!  
Intrigued?  Read on for set-by-step pictures, and the recipe at the bottom.



You will need:
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Pretty easy, right?
Now this is important: set out your milk and eggs to get to room temperature.

So those will sit around for a little bit.  I set mine on the over so the pilot light can help my cause.

When they're warmed up a bit, get your pan ready. I sprayed mine with Pam (olive oil) and then put a pad of butter on the bottom of six of the cups.  I go every other cup they've got plenty of room to pop.

Turn on your oven to 450 and put the pan in to get it all warmed up.


While the pan is warming, let's get to mixing!

First, two eggs:

Then alternate adding your 1 cup of now room temp milk and 1 cup of flour:

All ready?  Pull out that pan and sprinkle liberally with flour:

Batter!  All smooth with minimal flour chunks.

Fill cups 2/3 full and put in the over at 450 for 15 minutes.

Little dude is helping me out, as usual.

 While we're waiting those fifteen minutes, why not make some tea?


 And since it's a lazy Sunday we might as well go loose leaf.


Check out that steam!

This adorable tea pot was my great-grandmother, Abby's.  She came over from England when she was about my age, so I'm pretty sure she'd approve of this afternoon snack.  And she was Onnie's mom, so we're just going full circle.



Well now that it's been 15 minutes it's time to give those popovers some attention.
Turn your pan around, and set it to 350 for 15 minutes.  They should have popper up a bit by now.

And then fifteen short minutes later, they're done!!!

They are just as delicious as they look.





I personally like mine with a little bit of jam:

Enjoy!


The Recipe:

Ingredients:

2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup milk (room temperature)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

The Steps:

Bring milk and eggs to room temperature.

Preheat over to 450.  Grease muffin tin (ideally: spray with Pam, put a pad of butter in the bottom in every other cup) and warm pan in the oven.

Mix eggs.  Alternate adding milk, flour, and salt and stir until smooth.

Flour pan (including top) and fill cups 2/3 full with batter.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until they have popped, turn oven down to 350 and back for another 15 minutes.

Eat immediately! With butter, jam, or just plain.

No comments: