February 03, 2013

Constellation Baby Blanket

In the spirit of free hand crochet items, I thought I'd also post my very first attempt at totally making things up: a constellation baby blanket!

A friend of mine in nursing school is having a baby!  And given he frequency with which he wears space-themed shirts, I thought this would be the perfect plan.  I looked up a constellation map online, and found a portion that would be somewhat square.  I also wanted it to include my favorite constellation (Cassiopeia) and a famous one (the little dipper).  I happened to use August 2012.

Here's the final result:

And a closer look at eat of the constellations:

Cepheus 


Cassiopeia 

Cygnus 

 Lyra

 Ursa Minor

 Draco

Hercules 






As you might be able to tell, I made circles for each star, and then made chains the approximate distance to the next star.  I built out from there.  At the end I went around the circumfrence twice to even it out a little.



1 comment:

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

I'm so sorry you're not blogging anymore. We even share the same favourite constellation. Did you know it's called Wilwarin, butterfly in Elvish?