February 17, 2013

Crochet Edged Fleece Blanket

This project is a super simple project that ends up looking fantastic.  All it requires is some crochet thread, some fleece, and a small sized crochet hook.

 I was inspired by a purlbee pattern for flannel receiving blankets.  purlbee manages to constantly be posting modern patterns based on traditional techniques that I find incredibly endearing.  This one is crochet edged flannel baby blankets.  I don't have a baby, but I do have a very drafty apartment.  I have some knit afghans but was hoping to make something a little warmer and fuzzier.  So after a little bit of internet research I found out that it is very doable to make this with fleece instead.  I picked out a cute midwestern patten for Oy and a basic heather grey for Joe and I.  I used Aunt Lydia's Fashion 3 Crochet Thread (but a thin yarn also works fine) with a 1.90 mm/ size 5 hook.

Fabric Prep: 


This part depends on the supplies you have, how much time you want to invest, and how particular you are.  The first step is to cut the edges to straighten them out and take off that weird not-fuzzy edge.  I also cut my corners to be rounded out of personal preference.

If you're very neat, you could fold the edges under twice, sew them there, and use what I believe is called a rotary punch or a hole puncher of some sort to cut holes about 1/2 an inch apart.

If you're not that fussy, so you can follow that I did, or pick and choose the parts you want to follow.  I pinned the edges as I went (folded over twice to the back of the work).

showing the back of the work, it if folded over twice and pinned




The Crocheting:

Rather than cut holes into my fabric, I used a small hook and pushed through it.  It took a little weaseling and some force, but was certainly doable.  I pushed up to the hit when I went through the first time to stretch it out bigger and make it easier that second and third time you're going in.

Insert hook below your folded edge (mine was about 1/2 an inch) and pull a loop through. Take the yarn (behind your work) and pull through your loop. Make a single crochet through the same hole, chain one.

Make three single crochets in your next hole, chain one.  Repeat this 3sc-1ch pattern indefinitely.

single crochet unto hole 

chain one

The link above for the flannel blankets gives an explanation for regular corners, otherwise you can continue around the rounded corners.


At the end, finish your last 3sc, chain one, and make one single crochet in the hole you started on.  Tie off however you do (I chain 2 and then cut with a few inches to spare) and tuck your ends into the fabric folds on the back.

Finished Product:




the left edge shows the back side of the work where it's folded under, 
the right side shows the front 

Oy's a big fan!

No comments: