September 18, 2013

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins


The time is finally here- it's the first chill of fall.   Not only did I pull out my favorite pair of Great Aunt Maxine's crocheted slippers (that pattern should make it up shortly), but I whipped Joe up a version meant to look more like loafers after finding out he was not blessed with a pair of slippers.  And then I started up on a new Mary Jane style for myself.  I'm also back to crocheting blankets that got left behind when it got too hot to work one in my lap.

But beyond the coziness of sweaters, lovingly knit blankets and slippers are my favorite tastes of fall.  Fresh picked apples, apple cider donuts, and of course, pumpkin.  Hot mulled apple cider with a pad of butter melted on top and ein schluck of rum or whiskey if you're lucky. Mmmmm I can't wait already.

Before fall had even arrived the Sydney who I made the gluten free pumpkin bread for last fall bestowed a pantry-full of food on Joe and I before moving back to California.  This very kind gift included a big can of pumpkin that is big enough that it hasn't made it off my counter so I've been giving it the stare down for a few weeks now.  And now that it is FINALLY cooling off, I'm ready to get into pumpkin season!

During my recipe quest I came across this gem.   Not only does it include pumpkin AND apple, but it's got a yummy streusel topping made with butter and brown sugar so it really can't get any better.  I even have half a dozen apples around that are a little too mealy for my taste, so baking them is my perfect solution!










You'll Need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 TB pumpkin pie spice (or a combination of cinnamon, allspice, and ginger)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/4 cups pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped apples

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
2 TB all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TB butter
(optional:  3 TB rolled oats)

As usual, the full recipe is at the bottom for easy access.




First, mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, sugar, spices, baking soda, and salt).


I used this pumpkin pie spice by McCormick, because I had it on hand (also from Sydney- isn't she great?).  It's just a mixture of cinnamon, allspice, and ginger so if you have a few of those on hand you could just add a shake of those instead.



I used Libby's pure pumpkin.  It took less than half of the big can I had, so I'll have to brainstorm some more pumpkin goodies in the near future.



Next in a small bowl mix eggs, oil, and pumpkin.  



Pour your pumpkin mixture into the big flour bowl and stir until well mixed.  Set this aside while you get your apples chopped, if you haven't already.




The recipe calls for 2 cups of finely chopped apples, which is about 2 or 3 apples depending on their size, how finely you cut them, etc.  I did my first cup diced fairly big, and then my second cup sliced to matchstick size and then chopped from there so they were real itty bitty.



However tiny you choose to cut them, mix them all in to your batter.







Grease your pans and fill 3/4 full with batter.  Preheat your oven to 350.




Now here's the streusel part.  Mix flour cinnamon, and sugar in a small bowl.  I recommend using a more chunky or granulated sugar, maybe a brown sugar if you have it.  The idea is to crumble this on top, so if it mixes very finely it'll be harder to crumble.  Add cold butter and either use a pastry blender if your hands to mix together.  If it gets too melty in your warm kitchen pop it in the fridge or freezer for a minute.


At this point, if you want to add rolled oats, you can.  It made mine a little easier to crumble on top, and gave it a bit of an apple crisp feel.  Crumble of top of batter.




Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and a wooden toothpick comes out clean.

















Happy fall, dear readers!   I hope you enjoy this little taste of autumn.


The Recipe:


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 TB pumpkin pie spice (or a combination of cinnamon, allspice, and ginger)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/4 cups pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped apples

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
2 TB all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TB butter
(optional:  3 TB rolled oats)


Preheat oven to 350 and grease or paper-line 12- 24 muffin tins.

To make the muffin batter, mix flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix eggs, oil and pumpkin.  Add pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture until well combined.  Stir in apples.  Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.

To make the streusel topping, mix sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Add cold butter and mix with pastry blender or the back of a large spoon until crumbly.  Crumble over batter.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and a wooden toothpick comes out clean.


According to VeryBestBaking, where this recipe was found, each muffin has 170 calories, 35 of which are from fat.  Not too shabby!  It also has 30% of your daily value of Vitamin A.  

No comments: