June 15, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

It's officially summer!  Our farmer's market was filled with strawberries today.  Being overly excited I bought two pints of them, along with a cluster of rhubarb (it's strawberries BFF- they go together like chocolate and marshmallow).

After getting the exciting new that my shift was cancelled tonight, I figured I'd use my surprise extra time by baking with all my fresh fruit!  We opted to have a light breakfast for dinner, so I thought making a strawberry rhubarb sauce would be the perfect accompaniment.

It's so freaking hot in our kitchen, so I had to take breaks in my fruit cutting to cool off and keep from getting too grumpy.  And as evidence that I picked the best boyfriend ever, Joe called into me from the kitchen, where he was helping me chop, "Do you want to do Charm Hour?"  Honestly, he's perfect.  He even made us the drinks- one that merits it's own post.

Anyways, this sauce is very simple but it does take about half an hour to simmer, so time your cooking accordingly.


You'll Need:

1+ 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

2/3 cup chopped rhubarb

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup water


The first step is obviously to cut up all that fruit.



These strawberries are perfectly ripe.






Put all your cut fruit, water, and brown sugar in a pot.


It looks nothing like sauce.  Don't lose hope though, it just has to sit on low heat with periodic stirring to turn into delicious fruity magic.


Once mine had souped up a bit (maybe fifteen minutes in?)  I added a pad of butter and a couple shakes of allspice.


Just keep going until it's the consistency you want, or the rest of your food is done.



And we're done!




And now check it out on french toast!  The words that came out of my mouth after trying it were, "holy God, this is amazing", if that helps you judge how awesome it is.





This recipe is sweet/tart enough to eat on it's own with french toast, or mix with some maple syrup without overpowering your sugar quota.




It takes a little patience to let it set there for so long, but it's worth if for a smooth, thick sauce.
I'd try to tell you more about it, but all I really can say is that it's perfect.

No comments: