July 20, 2013

Peach Muffins

Peaches have taken over the farmer's market.  After bringing home my box of fruit, I realized a few of them were pretty bumped up.  I was a little grumbly about it until I stumbled past this post on The Vanilla Bean Blog that was guest written by a couple cooks.  It's a healthy peach muffin recipe that uses greek yogurt to make it a little healthier.  Because I don't have greek yogurt, and it's too hot to leave the house right now, I quested across the interwebs for a similar recipe.  I found this decidedly less healthy recipe, and with a few changes came up with the recipe you see below.

It seemed ideal to take those squishier peaches and book them to good use in some baking.  And I seem to be really into this fruit muffin thing lately.  I posted these Strawberry Muffins just last month, and the Banana Muffins a few months ago.  Plus I bought zucchinis today with the sole intention of turning them into zucchini bread, so that's probably not too far behind.




Check out how moist that little darling is!  Absolutely amazing.  I threw in some chopped green apples in this one, hence the not-orange-bits.  We had one lone apple that was past it's prime so I thought I'd give it a new life.  The recipe below just uses peaches, but of course you can swap in other fruits too (mangoes would be AWESOME!).  Be adventurous!



You'll Need:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
cinnamon and allspice to taste

1/3 cup apple sauce
3 TB vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped (about 3 peaches)

Makes about 8 muffins.


This follows the same pattern as most muffin recipes- mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, mix your wet + sugar in another, then add the fruit.  Make sure to peel and chop whatever fruit you use.  I used 2 peaches and 1 green apple.



If you don't have applesauce, you can use 1/2 cup vegetable oil.  I just keep a large jar in my fridge so I have it for replacing oil in baking so it's an easy healthy swap I can always do.

Preheat your oven to 350.  Grease and flour your muffin tin.  Fill cups 2/3 full with batter and bake for 15-20 minutes of until lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
















No comments: