May 07, 2013

Picnics and Corn Hole

So after our trip to the Garfield Park Conservatory we came home hungry and excited to spend more time outside in the sunshine.  So we grabbed our little Oy-ster and headed out for a picnic!

I packed a blanket, water for Oy, jam, and cheese and we hit the road.  We stopped by Red Hen Bread for a fresh baguette, and found a grassy front yard in front of a church to sit in since our own front yard is a pretty busy place.

And now for the food:





 a fresh baguette

 jam from our local Farmer's Market


I love fruit + spicy jams.  They're perfect over warm brie, or with cream cheese on crackers.  Our farmer's market has jalapeño and raspberry or jalapeño and blueberry.    What I really want is one with peaches.  Maybe I'll just make my own one day!





Not too bad for a Saturday afternoon.



So come Monday, we still had beautiful weather, so we dragged out a corn hole board and played a little one-on-one.


My dad and I built these boards two summers ago in NY.  I found a pattern online (it's probably directions when you're building something?) and my dad did a lot of the constructing with my help, and I did the painting.  I am very proud of them.

Plus, it's nice to have a little Buffalo Bills gear out here in Bears country.

Oy got to relax in the shade and chew on his favorite ball as we work with him on learning to ignore things. It's a process.



In addition to the Old Style, I brought out some popcorn.  I like to make it on the stovetop- 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a half cup of kernels.  Just toss in a few kernels with the oil on medium heat.  Once the first kernel pops, throw in the rest, shaking every so often. Once you go 3 seconds between pops turn it off and season.

I used salt and Old Bay seasoning for a little summery kick.


We've got to appreciate all these warm sunshiny days!
It won't be long until it gets grossly hot and humid.  Give me 75 and sunny all summer and I'll be happy.

No comments: